Sunday, October 26, 2008

Prem Dan

Well I have just completed two mornings at Prem Dan spending time with women who need long term care. These women are mentally disabled, have wounds which handicap them, or are just plain old and sick. I met one girl who is 18 years old and haven't figured out why she is there and another woman who is OLD (hunched over, skin and bones, shaking from the Parkinsons that is ravaging her body). Huge range of women. I am not sure how they come to be at Prem Dan, but they are beautiful women.

I met a nurse who has been there for about 1 week from Switzerland and I became her little shadow and apprentice. She showed me how to dress one wound and let me loose for the rest of the time. She took awesome care of the wounds... she kept saying "They're beautiful!" while I tried not to gag! She told me that when she first came in the wounds had maggots and she had to take them out with dry gauze and one lady's middle toe was black and she had to cut the toe off! The bone was still attached though so the sister said to leave it hanging on! I asked the nurse how she knew what to do and she just pointed to her head... oh dear I have a long way to go! I am dreading tomorrow because today was her last day and will I be able to stomach and do some of the things she did?!? Only time will tell:) The sisters are the medical help although they have no formal training. So she just encouraged me to ask the sisters whenever I have questions!


The volunteers I have met are incredible and from all over the world! I met some from Switzerland, Holland, Taiwan, Japan, Australia, Spain, France and of course the good ole USA:) It is incredible how serving the poor brings people together. Yesterday I asked God what the point was. What difference does it make when there are thousands more on the street who need help that is not available. There is no easy answer, but I remembered the wonder thing and maybe I can wonder at the goodness of humanity. It is incredible that people from all over the world come to get their hands dirty and spend time with these people rubbing their backs, brushing their hair, painting their nails, feeding, cleaning, and just plain loving them. There are a lot of ugly things in the world, but this is something beautiful that I have had the blessing to witness with my own eyes and even take part in it.

A song that I listen to on repeat is by Brandon Heath...
The chorus goes:
"Give me your eyes for just one second
Give me your eyes so I can see
Everything that I keep missing
Give me your love for humanity
Give me your arms for the broken hearted
Ones that are far beyond my reach.
Give me your heart for the ones forgotten
Give me your eyes so I can see"

It's not very fun to see the things God wants us to see though. It's also easy to see those people here... I hope that I will continue to ask for his eyes, arms, and love when I return to the safety and comfort of Cedar Falls, IA.

Lots of love! DK

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Girls, Your adventure continues and every day sounds life changing. Are you all being good apprentices at Mother's house???? I'm sure you are awesome American Nurses caring for those in such desperate need. Blessing to all of you!! Love, Colleen (DK mom)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Erin!! I can't believe you have been over there for over a month. I'm glad you are having a good time, it sounds like you guys are happier now with the change of scenery. I'm proud of you for keeping such a positive attitude in what must be a very tough day in and day out grind. Keep it up.

downeyseven said...

I am following Collin's post with "Happy Birthday" to Erin - my almost birthday buddy. Thinking and praying for you as you serve.

Colleen

Anonymous said...

dear Dani, Lucy came to visit me yesterday and gave a brief update on your life and your happenings...you are super...I am so proud of you...just want you to know that you are missed...and I am thankful for how you are being used to touch lives...would love to chat with you and hear your stories...I count you as one of my "best" down through the years...
miss having you in classes and around...umf+