Friday, October 10, 2008

Hard day

Today was a hard day at the station. It is one of our last and it started with a man that I thought to myself, "Maybe Jesus looked like him" (because the book "The Shack" makes me not see Jesus as a tall bearded white man!) He was carrying a little puppy which was endearing seeing as we have seen many puppies around the station with no home. But to my horror, he walks up to us and throws the puppy to the ground and laughs. My new friend from Germany, Eva reaches out to the puppy and this puppy is not happy. He looks at Eva's hand warily from the corners of his eye. He is a scared little one and I just wanted to run away from that place for forever and never look back. How can people be so cruel? It was my first glimpse at not nice India! I realize that the same horrible things happen in America and all over the world, but it usually isn't in front of my eyes. It made me sad too to think that a hurt puppy was the first thing in India that made me cry.

The kids were out of control today and I felt frustrated at the language barrier. There was no way to ask them what was different about today. The women and older kids help us to know who gets the food and who can use the toothepaste because I think that everyone at the station would use it if we would let them. Today we had to turn away old women and men. How do they know who gets it and who doesn't? What are the requirements?

I also got to see one of the women who helps people with physical problems. Today she bandaged a wound over a boys eye, a boy with a long laceration down his shin, an old woman who had lost most of her fingers and toes, and many people with holes in their skin. Bandaging their wounds consists of taking off their old bandage, putting Betadine on the wound and covering it up again with a fresh bandage. It was hard to see such simple problems that could be quickly healed in a clean environment and proper care, but here wounds are easily complicated.

Honestly, I celebrate that Monday is my last day at the station, but I don't want to forget the needs I see and I want to continue to look for solutions for these problems.

Till next time:)

Danielle

2 comments:

Gigi said...

Danielle thanks for sharing what you are seeing...feeling. For some it's as close as we'll get to seeing what you are seeing. I love what they are seeing if not understanding in you.

Unknown said...

Dani,
You are a very strong person and just hearing this story really does make me just ask God some questions about life and good and evil. thanks for giving me an opportunity to think more deeply about life.

dave