Friday, October 24, 2008

No such thing as "No more room"

So you've been briefed about our past weeks adventures... but I want to tell you about the Jeep rides in detail... so we get off the sleeper train which was a teeny bit dirty confirmed when we saw native indians laying newspapers and sheets over their "bed" for the night. We, of course, brought nothing and sighed at the things we are forced to do in India!

So off the sleeper and onto a Jeep which to our American eyes should be able to fit 6 people maybe 8 if we really pushed it. Well pushed it we did! We fit a total of 16 people in that blasted Jeep! The driver was scrunched against the door with half of his body in front of the wheel as he reached accross his buddy who just had to tag along to make tight curves and honk his horn should anyone be barreling on the other side of the curve. It was INSANE! Then of course after our trek, we had to get on another Jeep. This time our legs were so incredibly sore from the ghastly trek down 2000 meters and of course our hips are stuffed into a Jeep where we sit four accross the back seat. We were a bit cranky to say the least. On this trip down the mountains, we had a total of 16 people in the Jeep with an additional 2 men on the roof and one guy hanging off the back of the vehicle! There is always more room in Indian vehicles! We couldn't help but wonder at God's sense of humor in putting us in such crazy, awkward, and uncomfortable situations.

Our first night of the trek... the mountains reflected the setting sun and as I watched the glow of yellow to orange to pink I was absolutely amazed at the God we serve. I looked away to view the actual sunset and when I turned back toward the mountains, it was as if God had shut the lights off and they were a sleepy shades of blue. It was incredible.

So fittingly, I am reading Ragamuffin Gospel where Brennan Manning shares this prayer:

Lord, Grant me the grace of wonder. Surprise me, amaze me, awe me in every crevice of your universe. Each day enrapture me with your marvelous things without number. I do not ask to see the reason for it all; I only ask to share in the wonder of it all.

Beautiful. What kind of God would encourage that prayer during the week that we visit the Himalayas?!? He is truly a good God who is so delighted in the details of our lives. It was even more special to share these spectacular views with Lex, Bridg and Erin. Things are so much more wonderful when shared with people.

Loving and learning through the beauty and complexities of the Indian culture:)
Danielle

7 comments:

Gigi said...

THANK YOU for sharing this all with us Danielle...cannot imagine what you are seeing, breathing in, experiencing.....what an amazing God we serve is right!!!

Jess said...

Hello ladies,
This is Jess, (Lexi's cousin) and I shared your blog with Grandma and Grandpa Miller while they're visiting us in Indiana this weekend. It sounds like you're having an amazing time, I've truly loved reading about your adventures. Enjoy the rest of your time in India. Bernie says he is looking forward to seeing you when they get back from Texas in April. Grandma wants to know if you've seen the Taj Mahal... :) she also wants to know about the kids that come to the train station in the morning to get toothpaste. Do they have parents? are they orphans? What's their story? You'll have to tell her the details when you get back to the states. She also asked what kinds of nursing stuff are you doing? You may have touched on this in some of your other blogs but we didn't read them all because I was reading aloud and we had a lot to catch up on. :) Lexi if you want to email me the answers/more stories this weekend Grandma and Grandpa would love to hear back from you! my email address is on facebook. :) We're thinking about you and praying for you.
xoxo,
Jess

Anonymous said...

I love hearing about what all you are experiencing! I can't wait to read about your experiences at Kalighat and Dayadan!The mother house is such an awesome crazy experience! A crazy mod podge of people from all over the world! You will probably meet some of the most interesting passionate people in the world and you'll meet some of the most lost people in the world. God is going to use you in amazing ways even amongst the volunteers! (A piece of advice; If you meet the old catholic man with the sandals that are rotting off his feet who says "I've been in India for 37 years. I knew mother Theresa very well" don't let him convince you to let him come to your hostel and speak unless you are ready for two full hours of boredom and awkwardness.) I'll be praying for you all as you witness the human suffering in the homes. Keep processing, keep loving and I anticipate hearing your stories!!!!
Love Kara Sievers

Anonymous said...

Girls, I think all of us parents should buy jeeps to pick you up on nov 28, and bring you home. Should be plenty of room, if the India people can do it , why can't we!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Colleen Kenealy

Anonymous said...

danielle! you are so precious. God has so much delight in you, it is not even funny. I remember the feeling you were describing when i saw the alps in Switz. Utterly amazing. It is a true representation of God's grace, like you said. thinking of you always. Lucy

Leatrice Dewey said...

Hi girls,

Can't even imagine what beauty you girls are seeing. Mt Everest!!!!!! Wow, I love hearing about your crazy experinces and also about all the different people whom your paths have crossed. Your stories are fun to read. I think about the movie "The Bucket List" and how you are probably doing some of the things that you all would like to do in your lifetime. So take it all in while you have the chance. You go girls!!!!

Leatrice Dewey (B's Auntie)

wardgrl said...

Hi Girls,
You guys don't know me-I am friends with GeriAnn(Bemidji)- we too had quite the adventure in India back in 92- sounds like much has remained the same. I've totally enjoyed reading your blog-oh how it takes me back. The traffic,ricshaws,markets,trains,smells and tastes of India. What an amazing place-you will never be the same and you will probably never smell curry and not think of India!fyi-i HATE curry-India has a place in my heart-as it will in yours. Keep writing and remember you will never regret going there-also be careful of hijackers in your hair! it took me weeks to get rid of the huge mutant lice-they were as big as large ants!
you are all in my prayers
Sonia-aka Madame Sonia Ghandi 1992